get ready, because here comes another Sincerely, Brigitte™ cheese recipe. it’s time to get our chipotle on.
i love snacking on this cheese. the chipotle flavor really hits you like a ton of bricks, which–if you like spicy foods like i do–is a very good thing. it is smokey and spicy and really, really good.
consequently, i feel obligated to issue this warning: this recipe, like the cheese, is spicy. so if spicy foods aren’t for you, then this recipe might not be up your alley.
but lucky for me, it’s definitely up mine.
this soup is not for the faint of heart. it is smooth, creamy, and full of incredibly robust flavor. the cheese, along with a bit of smoked paprika thrown in for good measure, gives it a perfect balance between smokey and spicy that totally overwhelms your mouth, but in a very good way. and then the beer gives it a depth of flavor that makes it taste extra special. as in, this isn’t just a thinned-out cheese sauce. it is a hearty, comforting soup that, when served with some nice, crusty bread for dipping, makes for a perfect cold weather meal.
for the beer, i opted for a belgian wheat ale, which is on the mild side. so, the beer sort of hung out in the background as a subtle twist of flavor. but if you want to really bump up the beer-y goodness, i think the soup would be really good with a darker, more prominent tasting beer. i’ll leave that up to you. another thing i’ll leave up to you is whether you add some extra chopped red bell pepper at the end. i really liked the crunch of the raw pepper against the creaminess of the soup, but you could also opt to leave it out so that all you’re left with is smooth, velvety goodness.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 12-ounce beer (I used a belgian wheat ale)
- 1 cup half and half
- 12 ounces Sincerely, Brigitte™ chipotle cheddar cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- another red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and smoked paprika, and cook, stirring often, until all of the veggies are soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- add the butter. when the butter has melted, add the flour. continue to cook, still stirring often, for another 3 minutes.
- add the vegetable stock and beer. turn the heat down to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- add the half and half, followed by the cheese. add the cheese in handfuls, making sure each one has melted completely before adding the next one. add salt to taste.
- puree the soup in a blender (or with an immersion blender) until it is completely smooth. if you want some extra crunch, add the second chopped red bell pepper. serve immediately.
disclaimer: this post was sponsored by Sincerely, Brigitte™. all opinions are 100% my own.