hey, guys! i’m back from vacation! more on that later, but for now let’s get right into a new recipe.
given that i spent most of the last month in the 80-degree weather of southeast asia, it was kind of a bummer to come back to cold, cold new york. but the silver lining is that if it’s freezing out, that means it’s peppermint season. so these dark chocolate peppermint truffles are a very welcome indulgence.
these truffles are the ultimate in chocolate decadence. they are smooth, creamy, rich, and elegant. the dark chocolate flavor is deep and intense, and the peppermint is fresh and cool, and the two come together to make a candy that is chewy as you bite into it, then melts on your tongue into a silky, dreamy pool of deliciousness.
i used coconut milk to make these vegan, but you can certainly use heavy cream instead if you want. either way, get ready for something really amazing.
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- ½ cup sprinkles, for coating
- place the chocolate and coconut milk in a microwave-safe bowl. microwave it in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until everything is melted and smooth.
- stir in the peppermint extract. use 1 teaspoon for just a hint of mint, or 2 teaspoons for super minty flavor.
- cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
- once the chocolate mixture has chilled, use your hands to roll it into balls. your hands will get messy. embrace it. roll each ball in the sprinkles so that they are all well-coated.
- keep the truffles in the fridge until you are ready to serve.