it’s chanukah! as in, let’s talk about frying stuff.
it’s traditional to eat fried foods on chanukah because one of the miracles we are commemorating is about the oil that lasted for eight days when it was only supposed to last for one. potato latkes and jelly doughnuts are standard, but i think anything covered in crazy amounts of oil is fair game.
so… i’m not totally sure where the idea for these banana fritters came from, but it had been floating around in my head for a while, and chanukah seemed like the right time to make it happen. i basically just coated chunks of banana in a simple pancake batter, dumped them into hot oil, and made a nutella dipping sauce (read: thinned-out nutella) to go alongside them. the fritters were perfect – the dough was crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, and the bananas got all warm and gooey to create an awesome balance of textures. the dough had just a hint of cinnamon and wasn’t overly sweet, which made it just right for the natural sweetness of the bananas, and then the nutella dipping sauce was the ultimate accompaniment. it was smooth, creamy, chocolatey, and hazelnutty, and was the perfect addition to the fritters in both taste and texture.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 large bananas, cut into 1-inch chunks
- more vegetable oil, for frying
- powdered sugar, to serve
- ½ cup nutella
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- in a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. add the milk, oil, and egg, and mix until everything is just combined. add the banana chunks and mix them in so that they are coated in the dough.
- fill a medium saucepan with oil so that it goes about 2 inches up the sides of the pan. attach a candy thermometer to the pan and heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- once the oil is heated, use a spoon to drop the banana chunks into the oil, frying about 5 of them at a time so as not to crowd the pan. fry the chunks for about 2 minutes, until they are a deep golden color. flip them as they fry so that they brown evenly, and watch your oil temperature - you might have to lower or raise the heat to keep it at 350 degrees.
- use a slotted spoon to remove the fritters from the oil and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels (to drain off the excess oil).
- repeat this process until all of the fritters are fried. serve them immediately with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and the nutella dipping sauce.
- put the nutella and milk in a medium bowl. stir them together until they are completely combined - you can add less or more milk to reach the consistency you want.