i’ve been really into this method lately for making one pot pasta in a creamy sauce. it’s so smart, i don’t know why we all haven’t been making pasta this way all our lives. basically, you cook the pasta right in the sauce. know what that means? no straining. no spilling boiling water all over the kitchen floor while you attempt to perform said straining. no worrying that your pasta won’t be flavorful enough. no trying to reserve a cup of cooking water to later add to a sauce that will be made in a whole other pan that you had to get dirty and will now have to clean.
the list of reasons why this method is awesome doesn’t end there… but all that really matters here is that this pasta is ridiculously easy to put together, and tastes so deliciously creamy, no one will believe how easy it was. the sauce is full of pumpkin flavor, and a touch of ground sage really brings out the pumpkin’s savory notes. it is warm and comforting, and perfect for the cool fall weather we’re having lately. and honestly, i could go on and on about how creamy and decadent the sauce is, but really… it’s relatively light for a “creamy” sauce. all it takes is some milk and a bit of parmesan cheese to shoot the creaminess factor through the roof, and you’re good to go. delicious fall-flavored comfort food? check.
pasta swimming in a creamy, cheesy, pumpkiny sauce, and it all comes together in a single pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 8 ounces pasta (i used fettuccine)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, until the onions are soft, dark, and sweet.
- add the vegetable stock, milk, sage, and pasta, and turn the heat up to high. let the liquid come to a boil, then lower the heat to low and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
- turn off the heat and stir in the pumpkin and parmesan. add salt and pepper to taste. serve immediately.