these bars are the ultimate combination of pumpkin and chocolate.
they look simple. and the truth is, they are. they are made of ingredients you probably already have sitting around, they come together in one bowl, and once they’re baked and cooled, you’re good to go. there are no secrets to getting it right, and no extra steps. mix, bake, done.
and that’s it. simple pumpkin chocolate perfection. these bars are intensely full of pumpkin flavor–kind of like biting into a pumpkin pie, but with a dense, chewy, brownie-like texture. and they’re studded with a whole lot of chocolate chips, so you pretty much can’t go wrong there. they’re a simply delicious dessert of champions.
soft, dense, chewy pumpkin bars stuffed with chocolate chips.
- ½ cup earth balance (or butter), melted
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- a pinch of salt
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- in a large bowl, combine the melted earth balance, egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, and spices. stir everything until it is completely combined and smooth.
- fold in the flour until it is just barely combined. fold in the chocolate chips.
- pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. bake the bars for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs on it. let the bars cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting them.