i have seen a lot of shaved asparagus recipes, and i have always thought they looked really interesting. but for some reason, it wasn’t until very recently that i actually looked closely at one of those recipes and realized just how easy shaved asparagus it is to make. when you shave asparagus spears, the resulting noodle-like strips look so pretty and fancy–i thought there just had to be some super complicated process behind them. but, as it turns out, all you need to shave your own asparagus is a plain old vegetable peeler and a few minutes.
add some radishes, dressing, parmesan cheese, and a poached egg, and you’ve got a pretty amazing lunch or light dinner.
the asparagus in this salad is light and slightly crisp, and because it is raw, the fresh asparagus flavor comes through much more strongly than in cooked asparagus dishes. the thinly sliced radishes add spiciness and crunch, as well as that lovely pink color, while the lemon-olive oil dressing brightens everything up so that you feel a little like you’re biting into summer. then, the parmesan shavings add some smooth nuttiness, and to top it all off, a perfectly poached egg adds a nice punch of protein to make this salad hearty enough to be a filling, balanced meal. i love the way the runny egg yolk oozes out when you cut into it and mixes with the salad dressing to add an extra layer of richness to the entire dish. this salad is beautiful in its simplicity and delicious in its elegant balance, and i’d love for you to try it–whether you’re making a quiet lunch for yourself or serving it at a fancy dinner party.
a light and fresh asparagus salad with the added richness of a poached egg.
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 5-10 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- parmesan cheese (as much as you want)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- first, shave the asparagus - using a vegetable peeler, peel each asparagus stalk into long, very thin strips.
- place the shaved asparagus into a large bowl and toss it with the radishes.
- in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. divide the salad among two serving bowls.
- again using a vegetable peeler, shave off very thin slices of the parmesan cheese and sprinkle the shavings over the top of the salad in each bowl.
- to poach the eggs, fill a large, shallow pot with enough water to go at least 2 inches up the side. add the vinegar and place the pot over medium heat. meanwhile, crack your eggs into two small bowls or ramekins. when the water has come to a gentle (not rolling!) boil, swirl it around with a slotted spoon to create a sort of whirlpool effect and, one at a time, gently drop the eggs into the water. let them cook for 2-3 minutes, until the white is fully cooked.
- remove the eggs from the water with the slotted spoon and place an egg on top of each salad serving. serve immediately.