i’ll admit, i wasn’t totally excited by the thought of banana ice cream. i mean, i like bananas… but the thought of eating them in ice cream form just didn’t make my mouth water. then i saw this recipe for banana ice cream swirled with nutella. and there came the excitement.
i can’t think of many things better than nutella. it’s one of those things i don’t keep in the house unless i have a specific plan for how to use it, because it’s just too dangerous to have sitting around. so the thought of swirling it into some banana ice cream was very, very appealing.
this was another recipe from the ample hills creamery cookbook, which has recently become a pretty big part of my life. the banana ice cream is rich and creamy, with tons of banana flavor and just a hint of cinnamon. but the nutella swirl is what really takes this stuff over the top. it’s just nutella and heavy cream – so simple, and yet so powerful. as the ice cream melts on your tongue, you get pockets of creamy chocolate hazelnut goodness that play perfectly off of the fresh banana flavor that surrounds them. this ice cream was truly memorable.
rich, creamy banana ice cream swirled with nutella.
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas (about ½ pound peeled)
- 1¼ cups heavy cream, divided
- 7 ounces (half a jar) nutella
- in a blender, combine the milk, skim milk powder, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and bananas. blend until the mixture is completely smooth. add 1 cup of the heavy cream and pulse the blender a few times to mix it in.
- churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- meanwhile, make the nutella swirl by stirring together the rest of the heavy cream (1/4 cup) and the nutella in a small bowl until the mixture is completely smooth.
- when the ice cream is finished churning (when it is soft-serve consistency), put it into an airtight container, swirling in spoonfuls of the nutella mixture as you go. you want the nutella to be swirled throughout, but not completely mixed in.
- put the ice cream in the freezer to finish hardening.