we did it! a whole week of non-stop recipe posting, all to celebrate my move to with love and cupcakes. i think i can now consider the transition complete. to finish off this week of fun, i’m sharing one last croatia-inspired recipe with you.
one of the coolest things i got on my trip was a book, pictured above, called “sweet korcula: sweeties of korcula grannies.” it’s full of fun dessert recipes that are traditional on the croatian island of korcula. and even though the book is specific to korcula, i was told that pretty similar desserts exist all over the country.
the first thing i made from the book was these cookies, and they were a huge hit. they are naturally gluten free and very similar to amaretti cookies, but with added citrus zest to give them some zing. i used orange here, but i bet they would be excellent with lemon, lime, or any other type of citrus. they are light and crisp on the outside, and moist and chewy on the inside, and the almond flavor is pretty out of this world. and the chopped almonds on the outside give them a little extra crunch that makes them just perfect.
i brought these to my last lab meeting and i was actually worried i had made too many for the small number of people we had. but that definitely wasn’t a problem – they were gone in no time.
naturally gluten free cookies that are crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, and full of almond and orange flavor.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in a large bowl, combine the almond flour, sugar, orange zest, and egg whites until the mixture comes together into a moist (but not really sticky) dough.
- place the chopped almonds on a plate. take tablespoon-sized balls of the dough and roll them into sort of football-like shapes. then roll them in the chopped almonds, pressing gently so that the almonds stick.
- bend the "footballs" into crescent shapes and place them on the prepared baking sheet. bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until they just start to turn a bit golden. let the cookies cool for at least a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.