here we go with post number three of non-stop with love and cupcakes recipe week. mint and chocolate has always been one of my very favorite flavor combinations. one of my flavorites, if you will. so i am a little bit ashamed that my mint chocolate chip ice cream is the only time so far that i have featured it on my blog! well, that all changes now.
i really like using fresh mint when i can. mint extract can be really useful, but i think using the fresh stuff just gives foods a burst of freshness that you don’t get otherwise. so i was really excited to experiment with fresh mint in a brownie. instead of just throwing it in with all the other ingredients, i decided to grind it up with the sugar to really get it broken down and release all of that yummy fresh flavor. i couldn’t have been more pleased with the results! these brownies are rich and fudgy, with the intense chocolate flavor you know and love in a good brownie, but with an added pop of cool, minty goodness. the mint really shines, while not overpowering the chocolate – it’s just right. and putting actual chocolate chips into the batter adds a nice bit of texture so that these really don’t feel like your average brownie. i think ice cream is still my number one favorite way to eat mint and chocolate together, but these brownies come in at a very close second.
rich, fudgy brownies full of fresh mint and chocolate chips.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup earth balance (or butter)
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- in a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. set aside.
- put the dark chocolate, earth balance, and espresso powder in a large bowl. microwave the bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. set aside.
- put the granulated sugar and mint leaves in the bowl of a food processor. process the mixture until the mint is very finely chopped and combined with the sugar so that the sugar looks green and you can't see any large pieces of mint.
- add the minty sugar and the brown sugar to the melted chocolate mixture and stir to combine. add the eggs, yolk, and vanilla and stir until everything is combined. add the dry ingredients to this mixture and stir until everything is just barely combined. fold in the chocolate chips.
- pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake it for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- let the brownies cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting them.