welcome to the first post in my week of non-stop recipes, in celebration of the unveiling of withloveandcupcakes.com! i think we’ll start with scones, for two reasons. first, it has been a while since i shared a scone recipe with you. second, this is another flavor combination inspired by my recent trip to croatia, so this is my way of hanging on to my summer vacation just a little bit longer.
i already told you that almonds are a big deal in croatia. well, another flavor that is a big deal there is orange. they sell candied orange peel all over the place, and use orange to flavor all kinds of fun treats. so naturally, the orange-almond combination inspired some exciting baking ideas.
enter these scones, which are a really wonderful way to start the day. the orange zest imparts a bright sweetness that i’m pretty sure is what sunshine tastes like, and the almond extract adds a hint of something nutty and complex. then the vanilla adds a smooth depth that balances everything else out. i really like how you can see the tiny specks of black from the vanilla seeds and streaks of orange from the orange zest scattered throughout the scones – they’re lovely and rustic-looking all at once! plus, the dough (or is it batter?) for these ended up being much wetter than what i’m used to for scones, so instead of trying to form them perfectly, i just made them into drop scones by dumping mounds of the dough onto my baking sheet, which just added to the fun. i might even go so far as to say that these scones make me happy to wake up in the morning. sort of. mornings are complicated.
light and tender scones, filled with sweet orange zest, vanilla bean, and a hint of almond.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- zest of two oranges
- the seeds scraped out from 2 vanilla beans
- ¾ cup earth balance (or butter)
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and vanilla seeds. using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work in the earth balance until it is in chunks the size of small peas.
- add the buttermilk and almond extract, and mix until everything is just barely combined.
- drop big spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheet in mounds - you should wind up with 12 big imperfect looking mounds.
- bake the scones until they are lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. serve them warm or transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.