these cookies are for the true chocolate lover. when i first looked at the recipe for them, i didn’t really get it. the proportions seemed all out of whack for cookies – there is a crazy amount of chocolate, a really small amount of flour, and the sugar-to-fat ratio seems way too high. but somehow, it all works to yield a cookie that really is like a chocolate truffle in cookie form. they are soft and chewy, with the deepest, darkest, chocolatiest flavor you have ever experienced in a cookie – totally reminiscent of the richness of a chocolate truffle. and they are big and beautifully cracked, making them totally impressive no matter who you are serving them to. that’s a cookie win in my book.
big, soft, fudgy cookies with the deepest chocolate flavor you can imagine.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 5 tablespoons earth balance (or butter), softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
- in another small bowl, melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave (microwave it in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until it is almost completely melted).
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the earth balance and sugar on medium speed until combined. add the eggs, beating after each addition, and continue to beat until the mixture is very light and pale in color. add the vanilla and melted chocolate and beat until everything is combined.
- with the mixer on low speed, stir in the flour until it is just barely combined. stir in the chocolate chips.
- drop the cookie dough in scant ¼-cup mounds onto the prepared baking sheet (the dough will be wetter than you're used to for cookies, and that's okay). bake the cookies in the oven for 14-16 minutes, until they are cracked on top and just barely set in the middle. let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet.