hey, guys! as you may have noticed, i haven’t posted anything in the last two weeks or so (12 days, to be exact). that’s because i was on vacation in croatia! it was an amazing trip in a beautiful setting (see the pic of the sunset over dubrovnik above), and i can’t wait to tell you more about it. but for now, i want to get right into a recipe since it has been so long. i actually made these cookies before my trip, but i think they are appropriate for my first post back since lavender is everywhere in croatia. really! it grows wild all over the place – in fields, in people’s backyards… pretty much anywhere you would expect things to grow, there is lavender. so you’re walking along and BAM – that distinctively intoxicating smell overtakes you. it was really amazing, and definitely inspired a lot of baking ideas that are bouncing around in my head right now. so get ready – you’ll definitely be seeing more lavender here in the near future.
these are the kind of cookies that make you feel fancy shmancy, even though they’re really just simple sugar cookies. they are light and delicate, sweet but not overpoweringly so, and have just the right amount of lavender spiciness to make them taste extra special. they belong right next to a cup of hot tea, and maybe some pretty cakes. that’s not to say i didn’t eat them in my pajamas sitting in my bed. i’m just saying… in a perfect world, that’s how i would serve them.
wonderfully light lavender-flavored sugar cookies, perfect next to a cup of tea.
- ½ cup earth balance (or butter), softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the earth balance and sugar on medium speed until they are light and fluffy. add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. with the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until everything is combined. add the lavender and mix until it is evenly distributed.
- on a well floured surface or between two pieces of wax paper, roll out the dough until it is about ⅛- to ¼-inch thick. cut cookies out of the dough (i used a small biscuit cutter, but you could use cookie cutters if you want) and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just starting to turn golden. transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- keep re-rolling, cutting, and baking the rest of the dough until it is all done.