this popcorn is what i make any time i need a fun, easy snack that will please anyone, adult or child. it’s good old caramel corn–light, crunchy, and sweet. and then it’s made extra special with a drizzle of chocolate on top. it’ll bring you right back to your childhood, and there’s really nothing bad anyone could possibly say about it. seriously, i challenge you to try.
deliciously sweet caramel corn with just the right amount of crunch, drizzled with chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ cup earth balance (or butter)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate
- preheat the oven to 250°f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- put the oil in a large saucepan. add three popcorn kernels, cover the pan, and put it on the stove over medium-high heat. once all three kernels have popped, remove the pan from the heat, add the rest of the popcorn, and cover the pan again. wait 30 seconds and return the pan to the heat. let it cook, swirling the pan every few seconds, until all of the popcorn has popped.
- spread out the popped popcorn on the prepared baking sheet and put it in the oven to keep warm.
- combine the earth balance, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in your saucepan. attach a candy thermometer and put the pan over medium heat. let the mixture cook until it reaches 248°f. remove the pan from the heat and stir in the baking soda.
- immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn, stirring so that the popcorn is completely covered. return the popcorn to the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- let the popcorn cool completely.
- once the popcorn is cooled, melt your chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. drizzle it over the popcorn, then put the pan in the fridge. once the chocolate has cooled and re-hardened, break the popcorn up into smaller pieces.