the jewish holiday of shavuot starts tonight. shavuot is the only holiday where it is traditional to eat dairy, and that means only one thing: these next couple of days are going to be very unhealthy for me. so i thought it would be nice to go into the holiday by posting a super healthy recipe here. that’ll mean that any of the calories i consume over the next two days won’t count, right?
anyway, lemon and poppyseed is a pretty classic combination. i always loved lemon poppyseed muffins as a kid, and one of the really nice things about this flavor profile is that it usually appeals to fruit-eaters and non-fruit-eaters alike. so it’s a really good opportunity to make something that is both super yummy and super healthy.
this bread delivers on both counts. it is dense and moist, with a sort of hearty nuttiness from the whole wheat flour, and the lemon flavor is strong but not overpowering. it is pleasantly sweet, and the poppy seeds add a tiny bit of crunch as well as a faint nutty flavor. their tiny black specks also look really beautiful against the light-colored bread. and to top it all off, this bread is a wonderfully healthy way to start your day. it is 100% whole wheat, so it fills you up and keeps you going, and it is much lower in sugar and fat than pretty much any baked good you would get at a coffee shop. i sliced up my loaf and put the slices in the freezer so that i could pull them out whenever i wanted one, and i’m really disappointed that they’re almost gone.
a delicious lemony quick bread with poppyseeds throughout.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- preheat the oven to 375ºf and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, poppyseeds, salt, and zest.
- in a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, yogurt, vanilla, and eggs.
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just barely combined.
- pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake it for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.