these bars were one of my favorite desserts i’ve made in quite a while. i’ve always been a big blackberry fan – i remember at summer camp when i was younger, we would go hiking in the woods and find little wild blackberries that we could eat right off the bushes. they were sweet, tart, and bursting with juicy freshness.
these bars totally capture all of that blackberry goodness. first, there’s the light, buttery, flakey crust that doubles as a solid layer on the bottom and a crumbly layer on the top. then, there’s the filling. it is somehow rich and light at the same time – it is creamy and decadent, chock full of deliciously juicy blackberries. during baking, the blackberries break down a bit and sort of become one with the creaminess of the filling, but they still maintain their shape to add a little bit of extra texture. these bars were incredibly delicious, and would make the perfect ending to any summer meal.
blackberry pie, but in bar form: crisp, flaky, buttery crust surrounding a sweet, creamy, custardy blackberry filling.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh blackberries
- preheat the oven to 350˚f and spray an 8x8-inch pan with cooking spray.
- in the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt, then pulse to combine. add the butter, and keep pulsing the machine until the butter is in pieces the size of peas.
- press ¾ of the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan (set the rest of the mixture aside). bake it for about 15 minutes, until it starts to turn golden at the edges.
- let the crust cool a bit while you make the filling.
- while the crust is cooling, combine the eggs, sugar, greek yogurt, salt, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl. gently fold in the blackberries.
- pour the filling over the slightly cooled crust, then top it with the rest of the crust mixture that you set aside before.
- bake the bars in the oven for about 45 minutes, until they are just set.
- let the bars chill completely in the fridge before cutting and serving.