somebody told me i should force people to make these muffins, because it’s for their own good. unfortunately, i have not figured out how to use the internet to force people to bake whatever i want, so i’m not sure i can do that. but what i can do is tell you how delicious these muffins are. strawberries and rhubarb is a classic combination, and for good reason–the sweetness of the strawberries and the tanginess of the rhubarb play perfectly off of each other to create a juicy, bright, springy flavor explosion. so needless to say, the strawberries and rhubarb come together beautifully in these lovely muffins. the muffins themselves are soft and moist, but hearty enough to be good and satisfying, then the strawberry rhubarb flavor just takes them over the top. all in all, they are the perfect breakfast treat.
light and soft muffins, full of sweet and tangy strawberry rhubarb flavor in every bite.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- preheat the oven to 400°f and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray (or line it with muffin liners).
- in a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- in a medium bowl, combine the oil, egg, and buttermilk. add this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until it is just barely combined.
- gently fold in the strawberry and rhubarb.
- fill the muffin cups to the top with the batter and bake the muffins in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one muffin comes out clean.
- let the muffins cool for a few minutes in the pan, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.