if you want a bright, springy dessert to celebrate the lovely weather we’ve been having, look no further. lemonies are like brownies, only with lemon instead of chocolate. their texture is on the cakey side, but dense enough that i would still put them in the brownie category, and the lemon flavor just screams spring. throw in some blueberries, and you win life. oh, and then there’s the lovely lemon glaze on top, which provides an extra zesty punch of flavor. all in all, these bars have an excellent balance of textures (chewy with bursts of juice from the blueberries) and flavors (tangy, sweet, and bright), and they are beautiful enough to serve after an elegant meal (look at those colors!), but easy enough to throw together any time you feel like it. you can’t really ask for much more out of a dessert.
tart, sweet, cakey squares, bursting with lemon and blueberry flavor.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons earth balance (or butter), softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided in half
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup blueberries
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- preheat the oven to 350°f. line an 8x8-inch baking pan with overlapping pieces of parchment paper (so that the paper goes up the sides of the pan).
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the earth balance, sugar, and half of your lemon zest on medium speed until light and fluffy. add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. add half of the lemon juice and beat to combine. with the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour and salt and beat until everything is just combined. gently fold in the blueberries.
- pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. bake the lemonies for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- in a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and the rest of the lemon zest and juice. pour the mixture over the cooled lemonies and spread it so that it covers the top. let everything sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes, until the glaze hardens.
- use the parchment paper to lift the lemonies out of the pan. cut them into squares and serve.