given my recent infatuation with scones, scones, and more scones, it has been a while since i made a muffin. and that’s really a shame, because muffins are great. especially these! they are a little more dense than your average coffee shop muffin, which i think makes them a perfectly hearty start to the day. they have just enough sweetness from a touch of brown sugar, and the banana flavor permeates the entire muffin while the blueberries provide a juicy pop in every bite. on top of all that, they are partially whole wheat, low in sugar, and low in fat, so they really are a healthy choice for breakfast or as a snack later in the day. that pretty much sums up everything i could ever ask for in a muffin.
a delicious and hearty muffin that makes the perfect start to any day.
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- preheat the oven to 400ºf and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- in a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- in a medium bowl, combine the bananas, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and oil.
- toss the berries in the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. stir until everything is just barely combined.
- fill the muffin cups about ⅔ full with the batter. bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. remove the muffins from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.