so, most food bloggers are really smart and when they know there is a big event coming up, they post event-related foods in the weeks leading up to it, so people have time to prepare. well, i haven’t gotten the hang of that yet. so this post is for those who wait until the last minute.
it’s superbowl sunday! are you going to a party? these little pretzel bites are the perfect party snack food, and they actually come together a lot faster than you might think. the result is a fluffy soft pretzel that is perfectly chewy and great with any dip you can think of – mustard, ketchup, marinara sauce, even salsa. their snackable size makes them are great for any party, football or not, and they will be gone before you know it.
a fun little soft pretzel bite, perfect for any party!
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 packet (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- a big pot of water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water, sugar, salt, and yeast. let it sit for about 5 minutes, until the yeast starts to get foamy.
- add the flour and oil, and using the mixer's dough hook, beat it on low speed until everything is combined. continue beating on medium speed until the mixture comes together in a ball of dough that is smooth and slightly sticky, about 5 minutes.
- transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. let it sit in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 50 minutes.
- towards the end of the dough's rising time, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the baking soda. line a baking sheet with parchment paper. also preheat the oven to 450°f.
- separate the dough into small balls and roll them in your hands so that they are smooth. a few balls at a time, drop them into the boiling water. let them boil for about 30 seconds-1 minute, then transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. repeat with all the dough (you'll need more than one baking sheet).
- in a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and tablespoon of water. brush this mixture over the boiled balls of dough, then sprinkle a bit of sea salt over each one.
- bake the pretzel bites for 12-14 minutes, until they are dark and golden. take them out and let them cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.