everyone needs a go-to white cake recipe, and this is mine. it is simple yet delicious, and forms the perfect base for any cakey dessert. the cake is moist and fluffy, but sturdy enough to stand up to frostings, and the sweet vanilla flavor shines through beautifully. make it into cupcakes and frost them with absolutely any flavor of frosting. make it in round cake pans to make a beautiful layer cake. make it into a sheet cake to feed an army. or cut your sheet cake into chunks and use it for a trifle. you have so many options with this stuff – the sky’s the limit!
the perfect white cake.
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups almond milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1½ cups vanilla sugar*
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- preheat the oven to 350°f. if you are making cupcakes, line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. if you are making round cakes, line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray the sides of the pans with cooking spray. if you are making a sheet cake, lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- in a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- in another medium bowl, combine the almond milk and egg whites.
- in a large bowl, stir together the sugar and oil until combined, then stir in the vanilla. gently stir in one third of the flour mixture, then half the egg mixture. repeat with another third of the flour mixture and the other half of the egg mixture. finally, stir in the rest of the flour mixture until everything is just combined.
- divide the batter among the muffin cups, putting about ¼ cup of batter in each one. bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. let the cakes cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- divide the batter among the two cake pans, so that each is ½ to ¾ full. bake the cakes for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. let the cakes cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then carefully flip them out and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. bake the cake for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. let the cake cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
1. use regular sugar, but up the vanilla extract to 1½ teaspoons.
2. use regular sugar, and add the scrapings from one vanilla bean.
3. make your own vanilla sugar! put a vanilla bean pod (split, with the seeds removed – a great way to recycle your used vanilla bean pods!) in a jar with 2 cups of sugar. shake the jar every day for 2 weeks.